THE RITUAL OF STEAMING
Peri-Steam Hydrotherapy (aka Vaginal Steaming, Yoni Steaming, V-Steam, Bajos, Chai-Yok) is the synergistic combination of herbs and steam used medicinally for the enhancement of female pelvic and uterine health. Indigenous Healers around the world have been using this natural and non-invasive treatment for centuries to enhance physical, emotional, and spiritual healing. Steaming helps cleanse the uterus and pelvis of blood congestion and stagnation, relaxes the pelvic floor muscles, and is an effective treatment for many difficult uterine and pelvic conditions.
BENEFITS OF STEAMING
Significantly reduce pain, bloating and exhaustion associated with menstruation
Decrease menstrual flow, reduce dark purple or brown blood at the onset or end of menses
Regulate irregular or absent menstrual cycles
Speed healing and tone the reproductive system after birth
Reduce uterine fibroids, ovarian cysts, uterine weakness, uterine prolapse & endometriosis
Assist with the repair of a vaginal tear, episiotomy, or C-section scar
Assist with the healing of hemorrhoids
Relieve chronic vaginal/yeast infections, and works to maintain healthy odor
Ease symptoms of menopause including dryness or pain during intercourse
Detoxify the womb and remove toxins from the body
Release stored emotions and tap into the energy that is our creative potential
WHEN NOT TO STEAM
Immediately after C-section or pelvic surgery
After possible conception
While on your moon cycle
With IUD or another contraceptive device in place
With active infection, open sores or blisters
SUGGESTED HEALING STEAM RITUAL
INTENTION & SACRED SPACE
Prepare a quiet place to relax into your Steam Ritual. Take time in making the space feel intimate and sacred by closing the drapes, lighting candles, setting an altar, or perhaps making a cup of tea to enjoy while you are steaming.
- Set up your Handmade Steam Stool. You can also create your own steaming set-up using a squatty potty, cutting a hole in the seat of a camping chair, using a slotted chair, or simply squatting over a bowl.
- Cue up the guided Root Medicine Healing Meditation on your phone or laptop. Alternatively you may want to turn off your phone, put on meditative music, or read from your favorite book.
HERBAL MEDICINE PREPARATION
Bring 2 quarts of water to boil.
Gather 3 Tbsp of Root Medicine Herbs, infuse them with your prayers and intentions and give Thanks to the plant Spirits for their healing.
- Add herbs to pot, cover, and return to boil. Remove from heat and keep covered.
- Place the herb pot under your steam stool and test that the steam temperature feels pleasant and warm on your wrist.
- Undress from the waist down, keeping your warm socks on, and either sit on the steam stool or squat over the bowl. Drape your lower body with blankets that extend all the way to the floor to ensure the steam is contained.
- Steam for 20 minutes. Be present with your own womb blessings and intentions. Breathe. Enjoy our Root Medicine Guided Meditation.
- When complete, rest and keep yourself warm as a continuation of this ceremonial self-care.
- When the herbs have cooled, please return them to the Earth, giving Thanks for their support in your healing.
COMMON STEAM USES AND RITUALS
Regardless of age, gender identity, physical health, or emotional state, steaming offers a beautiful opportunity to connect with the body. While sitting in mindfulness warmed by a cloud of aromatherapy, we allow each herb to offer us its own medicine. Carefully designed herbal blends work synergistically to support the body in healing a variety of ailments. We love to steam simply as an intimate self-care ritual, but have listed several other common reasons to steam. This is not an exhaustive list, and we encourage everyone to widen their knowledge of this ancient practice through additional research.
Moontime Cycle Care
Prepare for a more easeful moon time (ie. bleeding phase) by stimulating pelvic stagnancy, easing pre-menstrual discomfort and regulating imbalances. Herbal blends can clean and nourish the vaginal canal and uterine membrane, reduce clots, release stagnation, and help the blood return to its ideal vibrant red color. Some herbs help reduce discomfort from cramping, bring about more regularity, or lengthen unnaturally short cycles.
Optional Mantra– “May I be like the Blessed Air: light, open, inspired, essential.”
How Often– 1 week prior and/or 1 week after your cycle
- Suggested Root Medicine Blend– HARMONY (see description below)
Herbal blends can nourish the vulva, stimulate a deeper connection for arousal, or encourage conception. Enhance your own sexuality and creativity by calling in the Divine Feminine with a juicy herbal steam. Bring abundance and fertility into the body by inviting the power of the flower into your own sacred rose. Show yourself a little love by soothing and relaxing the pelvic muscles, releasing any holding or tightness, and creating a loving connection with your feminine center.
- Optional Mantra– “May I be like the Blessed Fire: warm, radiant, tended, wild”
- How often– 1-2 times per month for maximum benefits or when needed.
- Suggested Root Medicine Blend– VIBRANCY (see description below)
Healing Loss Care
Allow Mother Earth and her sacred plant children to heal the body after experiencing loss from miscarriage or abortion. Feel her support while breathing love and kindness into the womb. When ready, steaming can encourage the release of emotional and physical attachments that may become stagnations in the body. Steaming can also nurture the process of healing by offering a sacred space to grieve, practicing acceptance, and find reconnection.
- Optional Mantra– “May I be like the Blessed Water: flowing, clear, life-giving, free.”
- How often– Only begin steam rituals after bleeding has stopped.
- Suggested Root Medicine Blend– PURIFY (see description below)
Postnatal Womb Care
Bringing a child into the world is an incredible offering, and new moms deserve to be taken care of and nurtured. Steaming will help keep her warm, bring heat into the body, release fluids, and shrink the womb. (Postnatal, Post DNC or Miscarriage)
Optional Mantra– “May I be like the Blessed Earth: growing, nourished, blossoming, grounded.”
How Often– 1 to 3 times per week following birth to aid in healing.
- Suggested Root Medicine Blend– NURTURE (see description below)
Wise-Woman Care (Peri-menopause and Menopause)
As we transition out of the cycle of fertility and into the next chapter of life, we give gratitude to our body and its process. Steam rituals instigate much needed circulation and encourage physical and emotional releases. The warmth of steaming brings relief to vaginal dryness and offers an opportunity to connect with the womb during this time of transformation.
Optional Mantra– “I love myself. I accept myself. I am love.”
- How Often– 1-2 times per month for maximum benefits or when needed.
- Suggested Root Medicine Blend– SERENITY (see description below)
Steaming is a beautiful option for those suffering from anxiety, pelvic pain, pain during intercourse, and tightness from chronic holding or shallow breathing. To maximize the healing benefits of your steam ritual, work with deep breathing. Relax and soothe your pelvic muscles while practicing forgiveness, and letting go.
Optional Mantra– “I release control. I surrender to my soul.”
How often– 1-2 times per month for maximum benefits or when needed.
Suggested Root Medicine Blend– SOOTHE
Balanced Flora Care
What would a woman do 400 years ago when struggling with discomforts from fibroids, cysts, endometriosis, yeast infections, BV, and other pelvic disruptions? She would look to nature for relief and healing- which is exactly what we had in mind while designing our powerful Remedy Blend. This dynamic herbal blend cleanses the womb, restores balance, and helps to eradicates contaminates and undesirable odors.
- Optional Mantra– “I bring balance and harmony in all areas of my life.”
- How Often– For cysts, prolapse, pelvic pain, fibroids, endometriosis, steam 2 – 4 x per week, 10 min per steam
- Suggested Root Medicine Blend– REMEDY
After Pelvic Surgeries or Hysterectomy Care
After the initial healing from an invasive surgical procedure, the emotional and physical body may seek additional guidance and support. A holistic approach to healing may include steaming, scar tissue therapy, massaging with oils, and bodywork. Individually or together, these various healing modalities are helpful for reconnection, encouraging us to remember that this is your core, your center. A steaming ritual may be deeply supportive and healing after your body has undergone a radical physical or anatomical transformation.
- Optional Mantra– “All that I am, and all that I do, is enough.”
- Suggested Root Medicine Blend– SERENITY
Sexual/Sensual Self-Pleasure Blend
Invigorates the body and Increases Circulation for heightened pleasure
Peppermint, Damiana, Dong Quai, Rose, Lemon Balm, Cedar
Nourishing PostNatal Blend
Tones, tightens, and encourages healing
Mugwort, Oregano, Basil, Rosemary, Calendula, Yarrow, Rose, Lavender, Raspberry
Menstrual Balancing Blend
Brings about balance, menstrual ease and reconnection with moon
Motherwort, Mugwort, Basil, Rosemary, Calendula, Yarrow, Rose, Lavender, Chamomile, Lemon Balm
Cleanse and Release Blend
Mugwort, Parsley, Witch Hazel, Rose, Lavender, Sage, Chamomile, Dandelion, Peppermint
Intention of Ease, regulates a Short Cycle, dissolves Pain
Mugwort, Peppermint, Citrus, Rose, Calendula, Chamomile, Raspberry, Dandelion, Nettle
Healing & Restorative Blend
Fibroids, Endometriosis, Yeast Over Growth, BV
Powerful Medicinal Blend for Detoxification and Restoration of Bacterial Balance
Motherwort, Oregano, Basil, Rosemary, Calendula, Yarrow, Rose, Lavender, Sage
Calm & Cooling Blend
Wise-Woman Blend (Peri-menopause and Menopause)
Plantain, Comfrey, Violet, Calendula, Chamomile, Holy Basil, Motherwort, Lavender
All blends may adjust slightly depending on season of production and herb availability.
We strive to source locally whenever possible, and frequently incorporate medicinal plants harvested on our island in the PNW.
If you have a particular sensitivity or allergy please let us know when ordering.
Custom designed blends always available.